Monday, September 10, 2012

Salt Marsh Sunset

Salt Marsh Sunset
Oil on canvas, 10x10
sold

So I've made 60-some of the 10x10s by now, and while I am loving the project, I'm starting to think about the next one.

I think I'm going to do a series of 6x6 canvases of houses, streets, neighborhoods in Wachapreague. I've really been looking at the way the sun shines in this clear, clear air on the sides and planes of the houses and buildings here, and it is beautiful and intriguing and compelling.

You all know, by now, that I generally don't paint houses, or at least don't paint them exactly, with windows and steps and doors and the things that houses so often have. I doubt that I'll be adding a lot of detail at 6x6, but who knows where this will lead me?

I love the idea of having a project that underlies (underlays?) everything else that I do, kind of like a conveyer belt of creativity that chugs along, independent and yet connected. For me, at least, it's a great way to motivate myself, to experiment, to keep painting, to keep painting fast - and to rise to a challenge.

If anyone wants to join me, either in painting Wachapreague, or in painting your own town, you're more than welcome to. If we get a bunch of painters doing this, we could have a Hometown show in a gallery somewhere... wouldn't that be fun?

No comments: