Monday, April 3, 2017

Never Give Up

Never Give Up
Oil on canvas, 14x14

Long ago, I decided that when the voice - or God or the universe, or my Higher Power, or Nature, whatever works for you - tells me to go down a path, I should go, and not resist.

That's what has happened with me now, with three abstract pieces. I did not set out to make these, and all I can say is that they more or less made themselves. There's a part of me that's hoping this is a short, strange phase, and there's a part of me that's hoping this is the start of a journey of exploration.

Tomorrow, I am making a floral, and when that's done, I have a photo of some cows that I'm yearning to make into a painting, so I doubt that the abstracts are going to exclude any of my regular work - but I am excited about them, in the way you're sometimes excited about meeting a strange, interesting, new person.

Please let me know what you think.

***
Stuff I've Seen




Well, the Paradise City show in Marlborough, Mass., was not a great show for me in terms of sales, though commissions from supporters and patrons certainly helped!

One man bought a biggish cow painting (above), and that was great. A collector bought a small floral and I forgot to take a Happy Buyer photo. I also forgot to take a Happy Buyer photo of one of my strongest collectors, who bought a floral painting. If you buy something from me and I seem to be forgetting the Happy Buyer photo, please remind me!

But shows are not only about sales, and this one was about friends. In addition to the collectors who bought from me, I was visited by my friend Heather, from Maine (in the selfie above left) and my friends from college, Penny and Amy (below). Andy, a friend of my brother's who has become a friend of mine over the years, also came to the show. That's him at the top, pointing to a postcard of my stuff.



***
Dog of the Day
This little guy thought he was the size of the van, apparently, as he placed himself in front of the van a couple days ago and refused to let me go by. I rolled the window down and yelled at him and got a mouthful of barking for my trouble. 

***
A Final Thought

"Every morning when I wake up, I experience an exquisite joy - the joy 
of being Salvador Dali - and I ask myself in rapture: What wonderful things 
is this Salvador Dali going to accomplish today?" 
- Salvador Dali







No comments: