Thursday, August 26, 2010

Two Houses


Two Houses
Oil on canvas, 8x10, $100



I made this painting in St. Ulric, on the Gaspe Peninsula of Quebec, on a beautiful, windy June day. I had already finished one painting of this scene, done with a palette knife, and decided to try a brush, just for a different effect. 

I do this from time to time, use a brush, even though I love the palette knife. The brush gives me more control, and I like that from time to time- even though one of the things that attracts me to the knife is the lack of control that it brings.

I love the random surprises that come with the palette knife. I love what happens when I layer on the paint, thick and rich and juicy. I get effects and motion and movement I just can't get with a brush. Lately, I've been using both - and that might be part of the next phase of my painting life. 

In other news... 

If you're around West Hartford, Conn.,  on Saturday, stop by Center Framing & Art, 56 LaSalle Road in West Hartford Center. I'll be painting on the sidewalk in front of the store. Stop by, say hi, see what I'm painting - and look at work by me and others in the gallery. 

No comments: