Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Rae

Rae
Oil on canvas, 12x12
Commission

On Christmas Eve here in Wachapreague, VA, Peter and I set luminaria around our house and up our steps. It was a warm night, and we lighted the candles and watched them burn, glowing and twinkling, lighting the path to our home.

No one drove by to see them. No one was home across the street or next door. They were for us, and for us only.

For me, setting out and lighting the candles was an act of faith, of remembrance, of belief. The lights burning in the dark of Christmas Eve marked hope, and spirit, and reminded me of all that is good, and all that is possible.

I am in a new place here, in all senses, and I want all senses to be awake to that. And in the dark, warm night, my senses, my heart, my soul all were awake, and I was grateful.

Our house with luminaria burning

No comments: