Friday, December 7, 2012

Winter Farm

Winter Farm
Oil on canvas, 20x20
sold


The crows are at it again, with the pecans, and today, I saw what they're doing.

I wrote the other day about our antenna and how the crows are pelting it with pecans... This morning, I saw them doing what they do.

There's a pipe that runs from about halfway up the antenna to a spot near the top, where there's a sort of platform. One of the birds was using the platform as a place to set the pecans while he tried to smash them with his beak.

But others were tossing the pecans down into the pipe, where they rattled and clanged, in the pipe and against the antenna as they fell.

I watched for about 15 minutes, and no bird ever flew down to the ground to retrieve a pecan, so I can only assume that they're doing this for fun. Crow basketball? Crow drumming? They are funny birds, and so who knows!

Here are a couple photos of the antenna, and a little video of the crows and pecans...


Our house, and the antenna

Near the top of the antenna

Well, I can't get the video to load correctly, but you can click here to go to my YouTube channel and watch it! 




No comments: