Friday, January 24, 2020

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing / Oil on black canvas / unframed / 5x7 / $68 including shipping
Sold


WHEN WE LIVED IN MAINE (Bolster's Mills, in southwest Maine, near Bridgton), we had tons of birds all year round. Peter and I loved watching them, and that was where he started his life list. I found his field guide the other day, and there was his list of all the birds he saw during his life. 

One of his favorites, and mine, too, was the cedar waxwing. We'd get them in the fall, and not many of them, but they were reliably perennial, lighting on some tree that had orangey-red berries. They always looked like robber birds, with those dark masks across their faces. They were greedy and funny and noisy and brash, and they made us laugh, every time.

***

I AM DELIGHTED to let you all know that I now have three patrons! These are folks who've gone to my Blue Sky Patronage Page on the Jacobson Arts website, and enrolled in a program to give me money every month, much as patrons of the arts did in times gone by. 

A couple years ago, The New York Times had an interesting article on a small re-emergence of the patronage concept. Working with my prosperity coach, Joe Skelley, I'd already started my program, but I was happy to see that I was in good company. 

My patrons get some rewards for this, but none of these folks is doing this for the rewards. They're doing it because they believe in me and want to help make it possible for me to continue to make art. Isn't that amazing? I am grateful beyond measure. 

***
For Today

"I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape - the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it; the whole story doesn't show." 

- Andrew Wyeth



No comments: