Thursday, January 23, 2020

Peter's Birthday Crow

Peter's Birthday Crow / Oil on canvas / unframed / 5x7 / $68 including shipping


TODAY, PETER WOULD HAVE TURNED 73. We would not have had much of a celebration, because he never liked parties. But I would have bought and wrapped presents for him, and set them out on the coffee table, probably with a vase of flowers from the grocery store, our favorite (and only) florist.

I'd have been up since 5, and he'd have gotten up at 8:30 or so. I'd have waited a couple hours for him to be awake enough, and then I'd have made a fresh pot of coffee, and he and the dogs and I would gather in the living room, and he'd have opened his presents, a little embarrassed - yes, even after all these years - at being excited by the whole process. 

Then he'd have gone off and done whatever he did during the days, and I'd have done the same, then I'd have cooked him whatever dinner he wanted, and probably made some gluten-free brownies to stand in as his cake (he always wanted me to be able to share in the food celebrations). And then, tomorrow or the next day, I'd have left for Arizona, and watched him waving goodbye as I drove off. 

It's been 105 days since he died, and today, I celebrate his life, his living, his beautiful spirit and huge heart. How he loved me! And how he loved our daughter, and her family, and our dogs, and our life together. I celebrate his art, his humor, his writing, his constant reading and learning. I celebrate that he lived the life he wanted to live, and chose to share it with me. 

Today, to celebrate Peter, I hope you will celebrate your own love. Husband, wife, child, parent, dog, fish, whatever. Honor him, or her, or them, and the life you have, the path you're walking,  smooth or rough, flat or steep. Rejoice, just for today, just for a moment, that you are walking it together. 

***
For Today

"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song." 

- Chinese proverb



No comments: