Thursday, July 30, 2020

Small Owl

Small Owl / oil on black canvas / 4x4 / $48 including shipping

sold! 

THERE'S AN AD ON TV - I think it's for replacement windows - that proclaims that "Faster is better." 

This morning, I started wondering about that statement. Initially, I thought that it was all wrong, that, in fact, most times, slower is better. 

But is it? Is there some inherent value in slowness? I do think there's a benefit to slowing down in life - to taking the time to look around, to contemplate, to wonder. But all the time? Would I want a generally slower life? The covid, and Peter's death, have forced me into a somewhat slower life than I used to have, and while that is OK for now - and good thing it is, since I can't change it - I certainly wouldn't want it to be even slower. 

I tend to work very fast. In journalism, speed (with accuracy) is a treasured commodity, and I had it. 

Now, I paint fast. Very fast. This used to worry me - but then I read that Vincent Van Gogh always painted as quickly as he could - and I think I understand why. By painting quickly, you outrun the voice that tells you that you suck, that you're the worst painter in the world, and that surely, that mark there, or that one there, or those three dozen there, are wrong wrong wrong. Paint quickly enough and you're gone before the voice starts its utterance.

So, I don't know. Maybe faster is better. 

I bet the window installers wish people would spend as much time thinking about their product as I've spent thinking about their slogan. 

***
For Today

Poetry of a different type. I hope you will take some time to go through the site. Slowly! 



No comments: