Thursday, July 16, 2020

Barred Owl

Barred Owl / oil on black canvas / 5x7 / $68 includes shipping

sold!


THESE LONG SUMMER DAYS seem endless. I try hard not to ask the big questions - where I will go, what I will do, how I will solve the riddle of my life - because when I start thinking like that, there is just too much time. Too many minutes. Too much daylight. The brutality of an 8:30 sunset becomes unimaginable, and all I want is darkness, and for it to be OK to go to bed, shut down the day, close off the questions, make my mind be quiet. 

So instead, I focus on the things that I can do. The answers I can come up with. I can vacuum the house. I can put the dishes away. I can make a 5x7 painting of a bird. I can't make the sun set, or bring Peter back, or answer even one of the big questions. But I can brush a dog, make another pot of coffee, figure out what bird to paint next. 

***
For Today

"I don't ask for the meaning of the song of a bird or the rising of the sun on a misty morning. There they are, and they are beautiful." 

- Pete Hamill

No comments: