Monday, January 5, 2009

A toe in the ACEO market

Backyard storm, oil on canvas paper, with envelope, 2.5 x 3.5


I'm learning as I go, and it's great.

Apparently, artists have, for years if not centuries, traded miniatures of their work. So far, I've only traded full-sized pieces!

Well, over time, and in the eBay fervor of the 20th century, the miniatures traded hand-to-hand between artists have become known as artist trading cards, or, if they're sold rather than traded, Art Card Editions and Originals. They've evolved to be the size of, well, sports trading cards.

Now, ACEOs are a big category on eBay. They usually sell for far less than bigger paintings, though I understand that sometimes, they sell for more than their bigger brothers.

I was intrigued by the idea when I ran into it on eBay, and became even more intrigued when my friend, the wonderful painter Michelle Filer, also mentioned it. I ran into some appropriately sized canvas paper, bought it, and gave it a try.

Here's my first attempt. It's 2.5 inches by 3.5 inches - apparently, this is the rule - and comes in a nifty little envelope, too. Cute, eh?


No comments: