Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Crandall Field, Take Two


Crandall Field, Take Two. Oil on cradled gessoboard panel, 16x20






Honestly, I'm not sure about this painting. I began it in February, on a relatively warm Rhode Island afternoon. Crandall Field in Ashaway was oddly green for a midwinter day, though snow stuck in gullies and shady spots.

The sun shined very brightly, with that clear, sharp light it gets sometimes in New England in the winter. People and dogs crossed the field. A man used a radio controller to fly a toy airplane. The shadows stretched along afternoon's flank.

I painted some of this piece in plein air, and most of it in my basement studio. I like parts of it - the houses along Route 3, near the top of the painting, the way the light slips through the bare branches of the trees. I like that I put people in the painting. But somehow, it feels more like an illustration than a painting. I am not sure I can explain the difference. Can you?

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

Jill said...

There is something about this one that I love. I think it's the perspective. You never see a view of Crandall Field in this direction. I think when you get back we should go paint there. It looks so old fashioned, a place from a time when people used to go do things outside in public places that didn't involve credit cards. I really like it.

Darlene Twitchell said...

I love the colors! Very nice!

I also really like what you and Sheila are doing for animals! I have an award waiting for you on my site!

carrie jacobson said...

Hey, Jillie - You are a sucker for Crandall Field paintings. Go figure, eh? we MUST go paint there when I get back. It will be spring!

And Darlene, thank you so much for your comment and your support. I'm going to go get our award!