Sunday, September 20, 2009

Blue, 2

Blue-black Lab. Talk to Sandy at Center Framing & Art for price and shipping information. Center Framing is in West Hartford, Conn.

Having finished my 12 dog portraits, I've decided to go back and redo a couple of them. Carden Holland, a good friend and wonderful artist, pointed out to me that when I leave the ears off the dog, I take away some of my options. Also, she said, looking at the painting of the baying beagle, which so many of you like, the dogs are best when the planes of their heads are clearly defined.

This was one of those "duh" moments for me, and helped me understand why I don't like some of these paintings as well as I like others.

Also, I must say, I really love the look in this lab's eyes.

Thank you for reading!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I want to kindly dissagree with Carden and say that I like the no ear of your gruff dog. Some of these dogs have their ears cropped and other leave them natural. The way you painted this one gave the viewer their preference.

I agree... this lab's eyes are great.