Monday, September 7, 2009

Meeting Points

Red Maple. Oil on canvas, 16x20, $75

This is a painting I started a few weeks ago, and finished just yesterday - or, at least, I think it's finished. I'm not completely happy with the fogginess of it, and might work to add a little more mist, a little more swirl. What I like about it is the contrast between the fog over the river and the sunlight on the near bank.

I think that in life, in painting (and also in housecleaning) the places that have the most impact are the places where one plane meets another - or one thought meets another. My eye is drawn to these spots, where light meets dark, cool meets warm, sweet meets salty. My mother used to love jelly with jalapeno in it; Peter still does. While I can't go that far, I do love pretzels covered with chocolate. But I'd like pretty much anything covered in chocolate.

I am learning to look for the places where things meet, where they could meld or could pull apart. There's a little drama there, in life or in paintings.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Art with Liz said...

This is beautiful Carrie. The reflections on the water and the lovely luscious paint! Great.

carrie jacobson said...

Thanks, Liz. I think I like it, too, but am still tempted to fool with it some more. It's hard to know when enough is enough! Hope you're well -