Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Evening's Edge

Evening's Edge
Oil on stretched canvas, 11x14

Call me at 860-442-0246 or email me
if you are interested in buying this painting

This is my first posting from my treetop studio/office. The migration of my stuff is nowhere near complete, but there's enough here to make it work. And the break is nice on my knees.

It's hot up here on the second floor of the garage, but I've got a fan blowing, and the day is cooling, and I'm not lugging stuff, so it's good. Peter's going to put a bird feeder up where I can see it from my desk here. I can see him walking around in the yard, and it feels a tad like I am spying.

I made this painting yesterday evening in Stonington. It was Labor Day, and the light was soft and burnished. The corn was still standing in the fields, and the shadows fell in patches on the road. A woman, running, stopped to make sure I was OK, as I jockeyed for a decent and safe spot. Birds sang, and some small animal rooted in the leaves to my right, and only two cars passed.

This painting is not at all what I set out to paint, but I like it. I like the pattern of light and dark, the rhythm of the corn fields (that's what those step-like things are in the background), the soft curl of the road.

Thanks for reading!

Here's the studio today, with my desk in the background, by my spy-window.

No comments: