Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Island Morning

Island Morning
Oil on canvas, 16x20

Call me at 860-442-0246 or email me
if you are interested in buying this painting
Tilghman's Island probably hops in the summer, but in April, it's a pretty sleepy place. I pulled up to the Chesapeake Bay on a little dead-end road that ran beside some lovely homes. I set up, and painted for a few hours, and saw only two people.

A woman who works for the Department of Environmental Protection (I think) came by, picking up trash. She was wonderfully helpful about other places to paint.

A man who'd lived on the island all his life came by on a scooter and talked about growing up there. Said he was about 18 before he realized that people pay for crabs; he and his siblings just caught them and brought them home for supper, all through their childhoods.

It's a beautiful place, indeed.

No comments: