Sunday, June 21, 2009

The beauty of nothing

"Stroller." Oil on canvas, 18x18, commission

I realized the other day that I haven't had a day off, a day in which I did pretty much nothing, for a long, long time. When you work for yourself, I realize, you just keep working. You work all the time - or at least I do. I work pretty much from the moment I get up until the moment I fall asleep.

And while that's great - and it truly is! - it's also just plain exhausting. And it's been showing in me. I've been tired and drifty and crabby, and did I mention tired? Of course, my tiredness can't manage to work itself out in a good eight hours' sleep. No. I sleep for three or four hours, then I'm up for an hour or two, then asleep again, if I'm lucky, for another few hours. This past week, I've been using an afternoon nap just to get through to evening.

So yesterday, after helping with the Blooms & Rooms garden tour in Mystic, I just did nothing. I loved every boring minute of it, too!

Thanks for reading. Now go and do nothing for a little while - on me!

No comments: