Thursday, June 4, 2009

What is, what might be

Guthrie. Oil on stretched canvas, 10x10.

Here is Effort No. 2, this one done mostly with a palette knife. This one has a little of that shine the waves leave when they recede, but still, it doesn't please me.

I spent some time yesterday and today looking at pictures of waves and beaches. It's amazing to me that, so often, when I go to paint something I've seen my whole life, I realize I have no idea what it really looks like.

Trees are a good example. Waves, clearly, are another. And roads! When I began to paint paved roads, I was astonished to realize that the surface is not really black. In fact, it's not black at all. It depends on the light, and on the day, but mostly, that "black" surface seems to be somewhere between purple and blue.

This road I'm on - purple and blue and even pink - what a road of discovery. And many of you are on it with me, I think.

Many of you wrote to say you saw merit in my stiff little painting from yesterday. You pointed out good things I hadn't seen. So thank you! How lovely to know that people I care about are looking at my art, thinking about it, feeling it. It means a lot to me.

No comments: