Monday, June 8, 2009

So that's where I was!

Beside the Turf Farm. Oil on canvas, 12x12

I was on my way to the South County Art Association to pick up pieces Peter and I had gotten into the most recent regional show when I decided to take the road that was delineated by a sign showing an airplane.

I've wondered about this road every time I've passed it. Really, there aren't that many airports in rural Rhode Island, and I couldn't imagine which one this was.

And so I was stunned to realize it was the Richmond Airport.

For me, it was one of those moments when geography finally settles into place. I knew Route 138. I knew the Richmond Airport. I just didn't know that they were only a quarter of a mile apart. I'd have sworn it was a 20 minute ride from the one to the other.

Now, of course, that seems utterly ridiculous. But that's how it is with realizations, I guess.

The Richmond Airport is on the road where I stopped a week or so ago to paint a turf farm. Since I was there, I thought I'd have another go at it. But I passed this shady path beside the wide open field, and could not resist.



No comments: