Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Another Horizon

Waterford Beach
Oil on stretched canvas, 11x14


Call me at 860-442-0246 or email me
if you are interested in buying this painting

Having fallen absolutely in love with the work of Judy Mackey (check out her website and her blog), I have set out to learn to use the palette knife.

Judy has given me tips and guidance, and I am grateful. I had a plein-air class this past summer with master palette-knifer Bruce Thorne of the Wallkill River School. I've made a few palette-knife paintings, but I've never really set my focus on painting this way.

I am beginning to realize that there's a different thinking process, a different seeing process, really, involved in painting with the knife. It's broad, and inclusive, and forces the artist to see in shapes and values, the broad scops rather than the details.

This painting has some of that vision, but I dragged myself into too much detail. Probably used too small a knife, compensating for my lack of control.

It's a new challenge, and I can already tell that it's going to shape my view of the world.

Thanks for reading!


4 comments:

JudyMackeyart said...

Carrie - thank you for mentioning me on your blog!! This is beautiful!!! I think you're taming the palette knife wonderfully!! (
Happy painting,

Judy

carrie jacobson said...

Thanks, Judy. I am having a blast. I find, however, that I am much, much messier painting with the knife. The paint is all over me and everything else!

Unknown said...

You're painting with passion via palette knife it seems. I love this. I love Judy's work also. It's strong and bold very much like your work.

carrie jacobson said...

Again, Sheila, thanks so much for your comment. If my work can be one iota like Judy's, I'll be a happy girl!