Saturday, July 25, 2009

Hmmm

Settling Down. Oil on canvas, 11x14

On Friday, I taught my first art lesson. My student, luckily for me, is astonishingly talented. She's a 14-year-old daughter of friends of Peter's and mine, and she draws better than I ever will. But she'd like some guidance at painting, and so I agreed to give it a try.

I've done a fair amount of teaching in my life, and when it comes to teaching formally, in school (in my case, teaching copy editing and page design at the State University of New York at New Paltz), I really didn't enjoy it.

Well, let me revise that. I enjoyed it up to the point where I had to give grades. I enjoyed the coaching and mentoring aspects, building relationships with the students, witnessing their growth.

I loved teaching pottery, at the Stonington Community Center. And, judging from one session of teaching a gifted student, I'm going to love teaching painting.

Fear pales so, in the face of success.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"Settling Down" is wonderfully calming especially when I focus on the reflection....

So when is your workshop going to begin?
;o)

JudyMackeyart said...

The colors of this painting takes my breath. I love it - it is so pleasing. I wish I were in your workshop!!

carrie jacobson said...

Thanks, gals! When the two of you say you're coming to my workshop, I will set the date and get the van ready to pick you up! Then we can all teach each other. Wow, that sounds like fun!