Saturday, July 11, 2009

Upright and Painting

Above, LaSalle Street. Oil on canvas panel, 8x24. Contact Sandy at Center Framing & Art for price information. The phone number is 860-233-7804. Painting on left, below, is also LaSalle Street. It's oil on stretched canvas, 11x14. Contact Sandy at Center Framing & Art for price information.


Back home from working on our house in New York, I awoke to find that I couldn't stand. My back had - surprisingly - gone out, somehow.

This happens about once a year to me. One time, Peter squeezed me in a big hug, and I heard something crack, and my back was fine. This time, I spent a day and a half on the couch, to the delight of the dogs, and by this morning, I was able to stand and walk and carry things and, most importantly, paint.

Sandy from Center Framing & Art in West Hartford Center had invited me to paint on the sidewalk in front of the gallery. It happened to be in the middle of West Hartford Days, so I was guaranteed a crowd.

I painted all day, and even though I didn't sell anything, I had a great time. My brother Rand came, with his wife Molly and their daughter Larkin. I met all sorts of new people. The strollers and shoppers were friendly and interested, and I got all sorts of oohs and aahs.

Tired and sore by the end of the day, I neglected to take photos of my paintings. I had to double back, and these two pieces already were in the window. Even though they're not the straight-on photos I usually shoot, I think you can get a good sense of them. Cityscapes! A departure for me - and I really enjoyed the challenge.

Thanks for reading - and if you came out to West Hartford Saturday, thanks for saying hi.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! These look great Carrie! I'm sorry you're back is giving you trouble. Warmth and massages?

carrie jacobson said...

Hey, Sheila - Thanks for the comments. I'm really pretty happy with these paintings, and must get better photos of them. You know, standing all day really helped, though digging holes for rose bushes last night did not. So today, more heat and rest. xo