Saturday, July 4, 2009

Painting in the Park

Benedict Park
Oil on stretched canvas, 10x10

Call me at 860-442-0246 or email me
if you are interested in buying this painting

Benedict Park, in Montgomery, NY, is one of my favorite places in the world to paint. It's a beautiful park with the Wallkill River running through, past hills and valleys, pathways and forests and open fields, filled with flowers now in the early summer.

One of the last times I painted there was with the marvelous painter Gene Bove, who gave me my first lessons in oil painting and has continued to be an inspiration and a friend. Check out his website! We had a wonderful time painting, that autumn day, while people drove and walked, kayaked and ran with their dogs all over the park.

Yesterday, I went hesitantly to the park, figuring it would be filled with Fourth of July picknickers.

But I was alone.

So I stood on top of a hillside, and painted in the sun and the wind and the quiet of a solitary holiday, and I thought about a lot of things, including how lucky I am to be an American, and to have the chance to carve out this life.

Thanks for reading! And happy Independence.

No comments: