Friday, July 3, 2009

Tall Pines

Tall Pines, Groton Reservoir. Oil on stretched canvas. sold

I've been looking at these tall pines ever since I found the shortcut to downtown Groton. They tower over the reservoir, dark and alluring. They are a little more massive than what I've painted here, a little more foreboding.

Still, I like this painting, which I did about 99 percent with the palette knife. The fact that the trees have a slightly different feel, a slightly darker aura than what I've painted, well, that's fine. It gives me gold to mine again, on another day.

That's one of the best things about painting. There's no end to the iterations and efforts I can make. Even if I were to set out to paint this exact same image, it wouldn't end up looking the same. I love the variability, the random differences, so much like life, and yet, so contained.

No comments: