Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day of Day Lillies

Day of Day Lilies
Oil on canvas, 18x36,

Call me at 860-442-0246 or email me
if you are interested in buying this painting


This visit to Maine brought me back to the land, and it also brought me back to my friends.

I worked as the regional editor for the Lewiston Sun Journal. My main office was in Norway, and I ran reporters in Rumford and Farmington, as well. I had a far-flung and very hard-working crew that really knew the territory, and understood what made news in their towns.

I got to be friends with all of them, but especially, of course, with the folks and freelancers in the Norway office. And this trip, I got to see almost all of them, as well as my former boss, and another of my former reporters with whom I share a birthday and a continuing friendship.

These reunions brought me back to myself in ways I hadn't expected. They unwrapped parts of me that I'd treasured and stored and forgotten, and I rejoice in these gifts and the people who brought them back to me, or, I guess, brought me back to them.

I made this painting during a wonderful day spent with Mary Ann Guilford, the office manager in Norway. We visited DeerWood Farm and Gardens, and met Beverly and Brian Hendricks, the owners, who were happy to let us paint there.

It's an amazing and gorgeous place, a landscape painted with flowers. Mary Ann and I spent hours there, painting and photographing and chatting with Beverly. I'd hoped to get back and paint there again, but I never made it.

I've fooled with this painting over and over in Photoshop, and still can't manage to transmit it with the depth and brilliance of color it has. It's hanging right now in the Denmark Arts Center, in Denmark, Maine, so if you're in Maine, and you're interested in seeing or buying it, take a drive! The DAC is open weekends, or by appointment - check out the center's website.

If this painting doesn't sell in Maine, it will be at the Wallkill River School Gallery in Montgomery, N.Y., for the month of September. I have a show there with the talented painter, George Hayes; the opening reception is 5-7 p.m. on Sept. 12, auspicious, as it is my late mother's birthday.

No comments: