Monday, February 9, 2009

A fine day

Afternoon Shadows. Oil on stretched canvas, 10x20
Contact me for price and shipping/delivery information

That's right: This painting sold before I got it off the easel. Down the road from our house, on Route 214, is this field, beside a pretty blue farmhouse that's clearly empty, and has gone downhill even in the year we've lived here.

But I painted this one at the end of the day. In the morning, I visited Atria Senior Housing and talked to a dozen or so residents about my trip to Wisdom, Montana. I brought paintings, and used them to illustrate my adventures. Sort of like a slideshow, except with paintings. (If you want to see those paintings, go to jacobson-arts.com). The women were a wonderful audience, attentive and easy. They asked good, smart question... and they liked my paintings. I'm going to go back soon and make a painting while they watch.

Then I had some errands, and I wanted to swim, so I painted close to home. The woman who bought this piece used to live in the house with her husband, who grew up there. It was a dairy farm originally, with hundreds of acres. Bad luck and some bad decisions led to the family's losing the house. The woman burst into tears when she told me her story. The painting will be her Father's Day present to her husband.

So this was a good day. A successful day. Good painting, good experiences, and the sun shining bright and warm.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

We here at Atria loved having you come to share you "tales" and your beautiful works of ART! The girls are still talking about it. We can't wait for you to come back. Anyone who hasn't seen your paintings are surely missing out!!
Suzanne
Atria Crossroads Place
Waterford, CT

carrie jacobson said...

Hi, Suzanne, thanks so much for the comment and the opportunity! I'm looking forward to coming back next week and doing a live painting.